|Biritish Residency ,Kollam, Kerala. SkyscraperCity|
The British during the colonial days had many Government Guest Houses built in the princely states where the British Resident would stay and entertain the vising dignitaries and acted as a link between the British administration and the ruler. The Residency Bungalow, is a two-storeyed palace located on the banks of Ashtamudi Lake at Aashramom (also Asramam)
|British Residency, Kollam, Touristlink|
Above image: British Residency - One of the historic buildings in Kollam. Till 1829, Quilon was the capital of the Travancore State with the headquarters of the British Residency situated here. construction began in 1811 and completed in 1819. Captain Arthur was in charge of design and construction. .............
in the city of Kollam, Kerala, India. Incidentally, Asramam is one of the prime locations in Kollam city because of the presence of of many important institutions here.
Built by Colonel John Munro between 1811–1919, the Residency Bungalow is a prominent landmark in this city. The other noted landmark being the Chinnakada Clock Tower.
|British Residency Bungalow, Quilon, Kerala. en.wikipedia.org/|
The colonial Bungalow is close to the site of the old Kollam Airport at Asramam . The building came up during the reign of Travancore Rani Gowri Parvati Bayi when Colonel John Munro was the British Resident. Constructed with a blend of European, Indian and Tuscan architecture, the central part has a rounded front with a large gable decoration. There is a crown with a lion seated on it atop the building with the motto Dieu et mon Droit (God and my right) inscribed above. The conference hall in the palace with an antechamber, an adjustable partition-like door and a large fanlight arching over divides the two rooms can be accessed through a tall entrance door - 10 feet (3.0 m) in height.
The walls of the conference hall are decorative and have cornices and dentils bordering the four sides with embossed designs of festoons, urns, and floral forms. An embossed motif of a large arch with an ornamental keystone, resting on pillars over the main doorway is quite interesting. As for upper story, rich wooden flooring is quiteattractive.
In some places, the walls are adorned with antique prints in polished wooden frames. Of particular interest to us is the one that depicts the battle of Seringapatnam, dating from 1802. The Edward Rose garden enhances the old charm of this colonial mansion. This Residency building is one of the most majestic colonial structures in India. Elegance in simplicity, affluence in artistic work.